Monday, September 8, 2008

Lessons learned from Code Ruler

I had problem communicating with my original partner, but I found out a fellow classmate (S. Sanchez) who did not have a partner to join our group. I was able to make progress with my partner on the assignment. We met up and were able to code the assignment. My partner was tackling the movement and attacking of the knights. We implemented some code from the code ruler website because we got stuck with our own code. I did the peasants – making them move, check if the land is already ours, if not then claim that land. I was able to communicate with my partner through AOL instant messenger.

Plan:
Our plan for the code ruler is to the have our knights to attack the nearest castle and take over that castle. From there we order the knights to attack the next nearest castle. With the each castle, we use them to make more knights and peasants. The peasants are used to cover land that is around the castle. We made unlimited knights, but we limited our peasants to 25.

The link the .ZIP with the javadoc and myRuler.java is: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~klau4/lau-sanchez.zip

The following table is the results of our ruler against the Random, Migrant, and Gang up rulers, all nine tests were one-on-one our ruler against each sample ruler.



lau-sanchez VS random

lau-sanchez VS migrant

Lau-sanchez VS gang-up

Test 1

694/2

656/4

261/146

Test 2

651/2

387/9

214/189

Test 3

399/26

441/18

142/234
















Lessons learned:
I agreed with the fellow classmate who said to start the assignment early. There was a lot of thinking involved to get the ruler to beat the sample rulers. This class does take a lot of your time, so time manage is a must to balance between school and personal stuff. My partner and I got stuck at the beginning, so we redo the assignment from the bottom up. Eclipse is excellent, all-in-one product. It made functions for me and I was able to create javadoc from it. Emacs and UHunix was great. Eclipse is better, makes my life easier.

No comments: