Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Devcathlon: Mockup 2

My software development class is still in the mockup phase for the devcathlon system. If you read my last two blog entries, it will talk more about the devcathlon system. This week, we switch around the teams, and I am currently working with J. Ancheta and D. Arakaki. With the new teams means new ideas and that means a new set of new pages for the mockup devcathlon system (http://code.google.com/p/hackystat-ui-devcathlon/source/browse/#svn/ui/mockup6).

My job was to redo the badges page (devathlon system is using a badge rewarding system, an individual achieve an event i.e. commit early to their main repository, will be rewarded a badge) the badges page had different image sizes, so I resized all images to 50 by 50 pixels. I added four new badges that an individual can get:

My next step was to create a level system (also can be call a ranking system, right now we are using D. Arakaki’s idea of using military insignias as our ranking system. For example, an individual will get a rank of a private when he gets two badges, and so on. The following image will show an example of the ranking system.

My last task was to create an event idea that might get into the devcathlon system. My event idea is:

Coaching
Summary: Reward to the individual that solves a problem and shares it with the other programmer, who cannot effectively solve problem alone. This other programmer has to understand the solution and how it was implemented so he can become a better developer.
PAR: After reaching a solution and shares with the other programmer, the developer that come up with the solution logs in to a special section to indicate their participation. They must indicate (a) what was the problem; (b) what was their solution; and (c) the other developer they were working with. This event instance then gets put on a queue of items to be validated by a member of the opposing team. If validated, the individual came up with the solution gets +15 points. While the other programmer gets +10 points.
Decay/Incentives: No more than 1 solution can be awarded in a single day to a single programmer.

We did at least two in-person meetings and one online meeting. I do not have any Hackystat (http://code.google.com/p/hackystat-utilities/) data for this week. Just like last week, I did my mockup pages using Adobe Dreamweaver CS3. Maybe in the next couple of weeks where we start coding the devcathlon system that I will get development time data from Eclipse IDE.

No comments: