Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learning to Use Configuration Management

When I first started to learned to program in Java, I never ever have to use SVN (subversion: is a version control system that is used to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. define from http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html) or any project hosting sites, Google Code Hosting (http://code.google.com/hosting/), SourceForge.com, and etc. Until today, where I learn about and use SVN with Google Code Hosting site. I heard of SVN from a fellow classmate and programmer, but I never research it to see if it will benefit me. Today is the day I learn more about SVN and Google Project Hosting.


So I installed TortoiseSVN for the Windows operating system. What an awesome program, it is integrated to the Windows’ Explorer – fabulous. The integrated program is great; all I have to do is right-click on a folder that I want to upload (commit) or download (update/get) from Google Project. Another window will pop up for the site address, username, and password. BOOM! I get the files from the main repository.


Using the TortoiseSVN, I went to download to Professor P. Johnson’s stack project. Got the files with TortoiseSVN and also shows a log of people who committed and what they done. I changed one of the files’ Java documentation, and upload it back to the Google Project. I find that TortoiseSVN mark downloaded files with a green check mark, and files that I changed with a red exclamation mark. I find that this is useful and an excellent way to let users know what local files was changed.

After getting a hang of using the awesome TortoiseSVN and learning how to download and commit files to Google Project, NOW it is my turn to make a Project in Google Projects. I created a new project host site, and uploaded my source codes and .XML files of a stack project. BAM! Got TortoiseSVN to commit my files to my new project site, and now it is there (http://code.google.com/p/stack-klau4/).

After some time of tweaking on Google Projects and TortoiseSVN, I got the feel of how to download (update) and how to commit (upload) files to a project’s main repository. It was not that simple to learn because I took some time in learning the different tools and features of both. At the end, I think I am proficient at using Google Projects and TortoiseSVN. There is a great deal of resources out on the web, but the two things I used are http://ics-software-engineering-fall-2008.googlegroups.com/web/10.svn.pdf and http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/index.html

No comments: