Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learning to Use Configuration Management Part 2

This is my second time using Google Project Hosting and the awesome SVN (subversion - a version control system that is used to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. define from http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html) program called TortoiseSVN. This time I got the basics on how to use the both, so I was able to retrieve my partner’s files from his Google Project main repository with TortoiseSVN. I think TortoiseSVN is an awesome program with Google Project – this is the first program I use with SVN.


So I have my partner’s files on my local computer. I changed the path for Eclipse build (ANT build directories) to a folder called bin, and re-word Javadoc comments. I check to make sure my modified codes will not break, and commit back to my partner’s main repository. The same procedures go with my partner handling my files in my main repository on Google Project.


I think using subversion for group projects is an excellent way in getting the updates from each member. I do not need have my group members online to send over the files, all they have to do is commit to the main repository and I can get it from there. I worked in groups before and it was a pain in the butt to get files from group members, plus the fact I have files that I worked on. With a main repository I can upload my changes and/or get the updated version that my group members worked on.

This will save time from waiting for a group member to send files over. Also, I do not need to worry if my files are up-to-date because now I can just update from the main repository – awesome, no more waiting for a group member to send over files, and no more stressing about my partner getting my updated files from me.

No comments: