Thursday, October 23, 2008

Google Project and Reviewing Code

From my previous blog, as of right now I am working with another programmer, C. Okada, on a program project that generates a list of books checked out from libraries using user’s input credentials. Currently, the program only works with the University of Hawaii and Hawaii State Library Systems. This project needed some feedback, so some nice programmers from one of my software development class were able to provide some feedback on how the project can be improve. In return I provide feedbacks to their projects, so this is a win-win solution.

Reviewing other projects (DueDates-Purple, DueDates-Yellow, and DueDates-Silver) was a good experience in getting new ideas for our own project. One example will be that our project, we did not put each library methods into their own class file. That will be a problem if we continue on with the project and add more lines of code. This is a big problem and my partner already fixing it, he already moved one of the library codes into another class file, thus making the main file have only the main stuff. I also notice some of the projects separate methods of printing, looking for checked out books, and stuff into their own files. This is good in the future when the project gets book and there is an error, it will be easier to find the problem and quarantine that file.

Other programmers (R. Reeves, J. Jung, A. Shum, D. Tian, and M. Flestado) reviewing our project is also awesome. One of the programmers caught a runtime error – my loop that prints out a list of book only prints out the last book. I did not catch it, and it is a good thing someone did. There were some good comments, and there were one or two comments that I do not understand why that programmer suggested that idea. Only one programmer (J. Zhou) did not comment on our project, I do not know if he had trouble posting or what, still did not recieve any comments from the programmer.

Google Project Hosting, the site where I can post open-source projects, checkout open-source projects, and review other projects. I had a lot of trouble publishing my review comments on a project. Sometimes it will let me publish, and sometimes it will not let me publish. I had to click on a “start review” link in one of the messages before I can get my comments publish in the code. At least it lets you put comments in the code. The bad part is that sometimes it works and other times it does not. Hopefully, there is a better reviewing tool that lets you publish your comments first time around.

Next time around, our projects will grow and expand. There will be more things to learn from other programmers. Make our projects more efficient and in the future it will be an excellent program for everybody to use.

No comments: