Saturday, November 1, 2008

Google Project and Reviewing Code Part 2

As of now, I am working on a program (with team member C. Okada) that supposes to display books checked out from libraries that are listed in the program. We already let other programmers (who are in our software development class) to review our system. We got back the results and are pleased at what the reviewers found and commented on. We also had a chance in looking at our classmates’ system (we all are working on the similar idea) and gain some knowledge on what to improve in our own.

Since the reviews we did some improvements to our system. So we had another review session to see if what other things have to be done. This time around, my team had a chance to look at Team Violet’s system. We were getting ideas on making packages and sub-packages since their system is structure with packages. We are having problems in making sub-packages, every time we have sub-packages in our system, one of the automated error checking tools (PMD, findbugs, checkstyle, and JUnit) gives a warning. So we are figuring out a way to correct the warning.

I had a chance to look into Team Violet’s library code. I was looking for a way to find the length of tables displayed on a given web page but did not know what the command to find the length is. Team Violet had the answer: response.getTables().length; I did not know that this works, but now I know and I can change my part of the system without using try and catch statements.

We had Team Yellow’s members review our system. One of the members (J. Zhou) did not review our system – C. Okada and I still cannot find any reviews made by him and still did not receive an e-mail stating that he reviewed our system. We sent out e-mails to all Team Yellow’s members, and only J. Zhou did not review. We did get a feedback from other Team Yellow member, he was able to catch Javadoc errors, JUnit warning, also suggested us to look at another team’s system on how to improve our Emma line coverage (automated error tool).

We are using Google Project Host’s built-in review tool. The first time around I had some complications in using the review tool. There were some points where it did not let me publish my comments into the code, and other times where I did not need any comments to be published. This time around, I had no problems in publishing my comments, but I hated the fact that I have to look for a file all over again starting from the system’s main directory. Only if it stays in the same directory that I am on, it will make life a little easier. I also want my comments to be published with one of the issues, in the Google Project Host’s Issue Manager, instead of seeing my comments in one of the commit logs. If the review tool let us pick where we want to post our comments, in one of the issues or in the commit log, it will be excellent in my standards. For now, Google Code Host’s review tool is awesome, but will be better with my ideas in (ha ha ha ha!).

No comments: